6 Field Engineer Squadron served in virtually every Canadian Engineer unit and battle of the First World War. They were at Ypres, Mount Sorrel, Vimy, Hill 70, Passchendaele, Canal du Nord, Cambria and the final victorious Pursuit to Mons.
During the First World War, 6 Field operated an Engineer Training Depot. In all, the depot trained 4,176 recruits and sent 3,876 of them overseas in 100 drafts. Most went to the Western Front but one of the last drafts in 1918 found itself headed to Vladivostok as part of 16 Field Company, Siberian Expeditionary Force Soldiers.
6 Field has been involved or completed a number of tasks on the North Shore such as excavating the swimming pool for St. Christopher School in 1947, constructing Bailey bridges over the Capilano and Seymour Rivers and completing trails to names a few.
1969 saw the first two unit members, since World War Two, go on duty to an active unit in Europe. Members also served in Egypt, Syria and Israel. By the end of the 1990’s over 40 unit members, both men and women had served either with the United Nations and/or NATO in the Balkans.
Members of the unit continue to serve with distinction on deployments overseas. More information on the squadron can be found at the link below.