Lieutenant Colonel James Pemberton Fell (1872-1960)
James Pemberton Fell was born in Staffordshire England in 1872. Educated at Harrow School in London England he joined the Territorial Army rising to the rank of Captain with the Yorkshire Artillery Regiment.
After moving to North Vancouver in 1897 he helped layout what is today the City of North Vancouver. Pemberton and Fell Avenues are both named after this early pioneer.
On February 11, 1911 approval was given to establish 6 Field Company, Canadian Engineers and Major JP Fell was appointed to command the company.
In August 1914, Captain Fell led the first contingent from North Vancouver overseas. He subsequently commanded both the 1st and 7th Field Companies of the Canadian Engineers on the Western Front. Upon completion of his battlefield duties he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and commanded the Canadian Engineer Training Depot in England.
In 1919, he returned to North Vancouver and between 1921 and 1926 he served as the Commander Royal Canadian Engineers for 11 Military District (BC). Between 1926 and 1946 he served as the Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of 6 Field Company and from 1946 to 1960 as Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of 7 Field Engineer Regiment.
JP Fell was one of the founders of the BC Corps of Commissionaires and served as its chairman from 1931 to 1954. He was also provincial chairman of the National Canadian War Services Fund in 1941 and the president of the Vancouver chapter of the Canadian Club in 1946. In 1920 he was awarded the Order of the British Empire and in 1960 he received the Canadian Forces Decoration, with two clasps, in recognition of more than 50 years service with the Canadian Army.